Friday, July 24, 2009

Big Sur

I got some stuff from the peppermint store blog to listen to on the drive down to try and find something that would stump Steve, but it looks like I'm going to have to go deeper than Blossom Toes and Daughters of Albion. And the grub at the Ashland co-op is ALMOST worth the glacial pace of the checkout lines. But enough about the van ride. Ever since we player the 80/35 festival, I've had Public Enemy's "Bring the Noise" stuck in my head. This was when we played in between P.E. and Matisyahu. I was talking to John Moen a while ago, and he said that the Decemberists spent a whole summer in a seemingly never-ending festival rap sandwich, usually between Asher Roth and Ludachris, so I guess this was our turn. But anyway, the reason I bring this up is because none of the sound people we've worked with before could do this tour, so our friend Mark recommended this woman Dianne, who's on a brief break from doing front of house for the aforementioned Hassidic rapper. She also has some great stories about touring with Game Theory back in the day, and if you know me, you know that's right up my alley. Now if only I could get some dirt on Waxing Poetics or the Grapes of Wrath. And in keeping in that vein, we've dusted off "Dynamic Calories" for this mini-tour, even though Janet had never heard it before. Last night was Harlow's in Sacramento, and c.f. Dean Wareham's Black Postcards for more on that venue. Big Sur is providing me with the greatest al fresco blogging I could imagine. Maybe more later.

1 comment:

guyshield said...

Hey Mike,

Didn't know how to get in contact with you, so I'm hoping this will suffice!

I met you at your show in Melbourne a couple of nights ago. I'm that Guy who did the illustration of you guys as the baseball players.

Anyway, word got back that you ran short on posters as there were only 3 of them (even though I sent 5..hmmm), alas I didn't end up getting one signed! Regardless, I'm stoked you liked 'em!

I was hoping to arrange something! I'd love to send you a few more if everyone else in the band wants one, as I was hoping there was still a chance I could get it signed. I'm happy to pay for return postage and whatever it'd take to get it back here as I'd love to adorn my studio wall with the signed piece!

Anyway, Great to meet you, and thanks for the amazing show! Hope to hear from you soon my email is below if you want to shoot me a quick message.

cheers
Guy
g_shield@optusnet.com.au

PS. I blogged about the process behind the piece here:
http://guyshield.blogspot.com